Peas contain 5.2 grams of protein per 100 grams, making them a good source of protein. It is a fine vegetable protein that is suitable as a side dish as well as the main ingredient in a vegetarian meal.
✅ Peas are 100% vegan
Protein in peas
Peas are naturally rich in protein. Yellow and green peas have the same protein content.
- Our average frozen peas contain about 5.2 grams of protein per 100 grams
- Peanut protein from pea protein meal in the form of a meal contains 34 – 48 grams of protein
- Dried peas contain 21.5 grams of protein
- Peanut mince has 14 grams of protein
- Boiled yellow peas contain 8.4 grams of protein
Tips – buy pea protein as a food supplement
How much pea protein costs
Peas are one of the cheapest sources of protein. Getting 100 grams of protein from frozen peas costs less than 3 US dollars.
Here’s how the price of pea protein compares to other common protein sources:
|Approximate price per 100 g protein (USD)|
|Red kidney beans||5.4|
|Frozen soya beans||9.5|
How much peas you need to eat to get enough protein
Peas contain quite a lot of protein, but not enough to meet your entire daily protein requirement.
Here’s how much peas (frozen) you need to eat to get enough protein:
|Your weight (kg)|
|Intensity of training||60||75||90|
|Low (1.0 g/kg)||1154||1442||1731|
|Medium (1.3 g/kg)||1500||1875||2250|
|Hard (1.6 g/kg)||1846||2308||2769|
Please read our review on how much protein is needed daily for different people too!
How to get enough protein with peas
Even if you’re relatively light and don’t exercise, you’ll need to eat more than a kilo of peas a day to cover your entire protein requirement.
That’s not sustainable.
One way around this problem is to buy peas in the form of mince. There are ready-made mixes that contain around 14 grams of protein. There are also more concentrated mince made from pea flour, which can contain over 40 grams per 100 grams. That’s actually more than what’s in meat!
Peanut protein as a food supplement
Another way to make use of this beneficial vegetable is by buying vegan protein powder that is based on peas.
- High quality protein
- Arginine and other essential amino acids
- Good for the stomach
- Neutral taste – perfect for blending into smoothies
Good choice of protein on peas
NOTES – be aware that peas are a legume and may cause an allergic reaction in some individuals. This also applies to pea protein.
Other benefits of peas
Peas are not only a good source of protein. It is a food that has several other benefits:
- Molybdenum – good for protein metabolism and red blood cells
- Longer feeling of satiety
- Rich in vitamin C
- Vitamin K – good for bones and blood
- Tiamine / Vitamin B1 is good for metabolism
- Folate – good for those who want to become or are pregnant
- Environmentally friendly – requires very little arable land